Saturday, November 29, 2008

Delivery & Broadband

I went to the new house after lunch with my mum. She was free in the afternoon and I asked her over to watch my brother's wedding videos while I wait for the delivery. There were still some boxes in the living room and I threw them away. I tidied up the living room and storeroom before I began to vacuum the floor.

The delivery from Kong Tai Electrical Trading came sharply at 2pm. One of the deliverymen tested the washing machine using the washing powder that comes FOC and explained to me the functions of the washing machine. Indeed, the front-load washing machine saves more water than a typical top-load washing machine!

I finished vacuuming and started to mop the floor. The water was not as dirty like before which was a relief. The effort of weekly cleaning of the floor really paid off. The floor is not dusty as it was after renovation.

I finished mopping the floor and quickly went home. I was meeting Jer at City Hall MRT station to go to Sitex together. I had asked her to buy a laptop for herself so that we will not need to fight for the use of my laptop in future.

By the time we reached Sitex, it was already around 6pm. I brought Jer around to view the laptops on sale and she took a fancy to the pink Sony Vaio. Yesterday, I had accompanied Jer's brother to buy a similar laptop from a salesperson from Harvey Norman booth. Hence we went back to the same salesperson to bargain for more freebies. I did not haggle much and got an additional 4GB Toshiba thumbdrive for Jer. However the pink and gold colour version were sold out and Jer had no choice but to select the red colour one. I personally preferred the red colour one as it looks more striking hee!

After the purchase, we went to Starhub to sign up for cable broadband for our new house. There was a 25% off subscription promotion for 8Mbps plan and it offers free digital voice service till 31 December 2010. We decided to sign up for it and the waiting time was horrible. Starhub has a counter for registration, one for sales, another for collections and the last counter for payment. The salesperson at the sales counter made some errors on the application form and had to rewrite everything. But she still made some mistakes. After that, we were asked to wait for the collection of the free voice-enable modem and other stuff. While we were waiting, the salesperson returned to us and informed that she had omitted the application for the digital voice and I was required to complete the application. We had no choice but to return and we got to choose a telephone number for our new house. We chose a number which is easy to remember and recite. I told the salesperson to expedite our application as I had enough of waiting.

Our queue number was called shortly and we collected the modem and stuff. On top of that, we were given $30 Robinsons voucher for signing up a new service with Starhub. In total, we spent about 1 hour just to complete the application.

It was already the closing time of the exhibition and we quickly went to D-Link to buy a router for wireless access for the new house. I was surprised that a normal router only cost $39 and I bought it without any hesitation.

Next we went to the lucky draw booth. Sitex has a Ladies Go Tech Lucky Dip which a $200 spend entitles a female shopper to have a lucky dip for a prize. Most of the prizes were already fully redeemed... Jer tried her luck but she did not win anything. So she filled up the lucky draw coupons and dropped them into the two boxes provided.

We went back to Jer's house by train. As I was carrying all the purchases in a big bag, we deposited the bag at Jer's house before going down to the coffeeshop to have our deserved dinner. Jer had no appetite and we shared a big plate of carrot cake.

Right now, we still need a dining table and a study table for our new house. I guess we have to start looking around soon. Ganbatte dear!

No comments: